MIXED MIGRATION FLOWS IN THE MEDITERRANEAN

Between January and June 2018, a total of 58,357 migrants and refugees had reached Europe through different sea and land routes. More than 75 per cent of the overall population crossed the Mediterranean Sea, mainly using the Central Mediterranean route that still leads to Italy.

Compilation of Available Data and Information
June 2018

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Between January and June 2018, a total of 58,357 migrants and refugees had reached Europe through different sea and land routes. More than 75 per cent of the overall population crossed the Mediterranean Sea, mainly using the Central Mediterranean route that still leads to Italy. 16,577 new sea arrivals were registered in Italy between January and June 2018. Despite receiving the highest proportion of the sea arrivals reported this year, in terms of overall arrivals (land and sea), Italy was surpassed by both Spain and Greece during the second quarter of the year.
  • Authorities in Spain registered a total of 17,950 arrivals between January and June 2018, two times more than the 9,401 reported in the same period in 2017. 16 per cent of migrants and refugees arrived in Spain by land, mainly to the two Spanish enclaves in North Africa (Ceuta and Melilla). The remaining 84 per cent (15,076) were sea arrivals to the south of Spain, mainly in Tarifa, Almeria, Motril, Valencia and Málaga. In comparison to the same period in 2017, this represents a significant increase in arrivals to Spain. Between April and June 2018, a total of 11,710 migrants and refugees arrived by sea to Spain, three times more than the 3,369 calculated for the first three months of the year.
  • At the end of the second quarter of 2018, Hellenic Authorities reported 22,899 new arrivals to Greece, more than twice the 10,676 registered in the same period in 2017. 40 per cent of migrants and refugees who arrived in Greece this year did so through land routes from Turkey, a total of 9,385 individuals. The majority of all land arrivals occurred in the second quarter, a total of 7,240 persons, three times more than the 2,145 reported between January and March 2018. The number of sea arrivals has been relatively stable in both quarters, with an average of 2,252 arrivals a month. The numbers of sea arrivals ranged from the 1,185 reported in February to the 3,303 registered in March 2018.

Read the full report here.

For more information about recent trends in the Mediterranean and migrants presence in the Western Balkans, check our interactive data portal – Migration Flows to Europe.