MIXED MIGRATION FLOWS IN THE MEDITERRANEAN

Compilation of Available Data and Information November 2018 HIGHLIGHTS According  to  the  compilation  of  available  data  from  national authorities and IOM offices, a total of 133,489 migrants  and  refugees  arrived  in  Europe  between  January and November 2018. Estimated 81 per cent of the  overall  population  crossed  the  Mediterranean  Sea  (108,246),  mainly  using  the  Western  Mediterranean  […]

Compilation of Available Data and Information
November 2018

HIGHLIGHTS

  • According  to  the  compilation  of  available  data  from  national authorities and IOM offices, a total of 133,489 migrants  and  refugees  arrived  in  Europe  between  January and November 2018. Estimated 81 per cent of the  overall  population  crossed  the  Mediterranean  Sea  (108,246),  mainly  using  the  Western  Mediterranean  route, which leads to Spain where 59,747 new arrivals were registered between January and November 2018.
  • Hellenic Authorities reported 46,261 new arrivals to Greece, making it the second most popular entry point to Europe with 44 per cent more arrivals this year than the 32,207 reported in the same period last year. Of the 3,126 arrivals during this reporting period, 67 per cent arrived in Greece by sea and the remaining 33 per cent were registered as land arrivals. Afghanistan, Iraq and the Syrian Arab Republic are  the  most  common  origin  countries  reported  by  71  per  cent  of  all  registered  migrants  and  refugees  in  Greece.
  • The increased   migratory   movements   through   Western   Balkans (Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina) continued during this reporting period, reaching a total of 30,951 apprehensions on entry and exit at the end of November 2018, fourteen times more than the 2,199 reported in the same period last year and eleven times increase compared to the 2,725 registered in the whole of 2017. The  majority  of  migrants  were  registered  in  Bosnia  and  Herzegovina,  a  total  of  23,271.

Read the full report here.

For more information about recent trends in the Mediterranean and migrants presence in the Western Balkans, check our interactive data portal – Migration Flows to Europe.