MIXED MIGRATION FLOWS IN THE MEDITERRANEAN

Compilation of Available Data and Information October 2018 HIGHLIGHTS According to the available data from national authorities and IOM offices, a total of 122,947 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe between January and October 2018. Estimated 81 per cent of the overall population crossed the Mediterranean Sea (99,714), mainly using the Western Mediterranean route, which […]

Compilation of Available Data and Information
October 2018

HIGHLIGHTS

  • According to the available data from national authorities and IOM offices, a total of 122,947 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe between January and October 2018. Estimated 81 per cent of the overall population crossed the Mediterranean Sea (99,714), mainly using the Western Mediterranean route, which leads to Spain where 54,099 new arrivals were registered between January and October 2018.
  • At the end of October 2018, Hellenic Authorities reported 43,135 new arrivals to Greece, making it the second most popular entry point to Europe with 52 per cent more arrivals than the 28,340 reported in the same period last year. Despite the increase between 2017 and 2018, arrivals this year are still far behind the 172,777 recorded between January and October 2016 and 596,261 reported in the same period 2015. Of the 6,010 arrivals during this reporting period, 69 per cent arrived in Greece by sea and the remaining 31 per cent were registered as land arrivals.
  • The increased migratory movements through Western Balkans (Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina) continued during this reporting period, reaching a total of 27,972 at the end of October 2018, thirteen times more than the 2,199 reported in the same period last year and a ten times increase compared to the 2,725 registered in the whole of 2017. The majority of migrants were registered in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a total of 20,879.

 

Read the full report here.

For more information about recent trends in the Mediterranean and migrants presence in the Western Balkans, check our interactive data portal – Migration Flows to Europe.