MIXED MIGRATION FLOWS IN THE MEDITERRANEAN

Compilation of Available Data and Information September 2018 HIGHLIGHTS According to the compilation of available data from national authorities and IOM offices, a total of 103,450 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe between January and September 2018. An estimated 81 per cent of the overall population crossed the Mediterranean Sea (83,067), mainly using the Western […]

Compilation of Available Data and Information
September 2018
HIGHLIGHTS
  • According to the compilation of available data from national authorities and IOM offices, a total of 103,450 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe between January and September 2018. An estimated 81 per cent of the overall population crossed the Mediterranean Sea (83,067), mainly using the Western Mediterranean route which leads to Spain where 37,391 new sea arrivals were registered between January and September 2018.

 

  • At the end of September 2018, Hellenic Authorities reported 37,125 new arrivals to Greece, making it the second most popular entry point to Europe with 59 per cent more arrivals than the 23,333 reported in the same period last year. Of the 5,674 arrivals during this reporting period, 71 per cent arrived in Greece by sea and the remaining 29 per cent were registered as land arrivals. As in the previous years, the Syrian Arab Republic, Iraq and Afghanistan are the most common origin countries reported by more than 70 per cent of all registered migrants and refugees in Greece this year.

 

  • The increased migratory movements through Western Balkans (Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina) continued during this reporting period, reaching a total of 21,413 at the end of September 2018, fourteen times more than the 1,521 reported in the same period last year and an eight times increase compared to the 2,675 registered in the whole of 2017. The majority of migrants were registered in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a total of 16,527.

Read the full report here.

For more information about recent trends in the Mediterranean and migrants presence in the Western Balkans, check our interactive data portal – Migration Flows to Europe.