MIXED MIGRATION FLOWS IN THE MEDITERRANEAN

Compilation of Available Data and Information July 2018 HIGHLIGHTS According to available DTM flow monitoring data, a total of 73,735 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe between January and July 2018 – 40 per cent less than the 122,384 reported in the same period last year. An estimated 78 per cent of all registered individuals […]

Compilation of Available Data and Information
July 2018
HIGHLIGHTS
  • According to available DTM flow monitoring data, a total of 73,735 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe between January and July 2018 – 40 per cent less than the 122,384 reported in the same period last year. An estimated 78 per cent of all registered individuals arrived in Europe by crossing the Mediterranean Sea, mainly to Spain (22,931) and Italy (18,510). The remaining 22 per cent of registered migrants and refugees arrived to Europe by different land routes, predominantly from Turkey to Greece where authorities reported a total of 11,050 land arrivals since the beginning of 2018.

 

  • Looking at the overall arrivals (by land and sea) the Eastern Mediterranean route is the most frequently  used route toward Europe; the Greek authorities registered a total of 27,112 new arrivals this year which is the highest figure reported among the three frontline countries – Italy, Spain, Greece . In contrast with the previous years, when sea arrivals dominated, land arrivals in 2018 comprise a significant share (41%) of all arrivals registered so far. The 11,050 land arrivals between January and end of July 2018 represent six times increase compared to the 1,889 reported in the same period last year and the 1,865 reported between January and the end of July 2016. Further on, it is double the 5,551 land arrivals registered in the whole of 2017 and three times more than the 3,292 registered between January and December 2016. As in the previous years, the Syrian Arab Republic, Iraq and Afghanistan are the most common origin countries reported by more than 50 per cent of all registered migrants and refugees in Greece.

 

  • Spain is the second country with the highest share of arrivals in 2018. According to DTM flow monitoring data there were 26,890 registered arrivals this year, among which 22,931 were reported as sea arrivals and 3,959 as land arrivals to Ceuta and Melilla, the two Spanish enclaves in the North of Africa. Arrivals to Spain this year are twice the 11,954 reported in the same period last year and more than eight times more than the 3,264 registered at the end of July 2016. Migrants from Sub-Saharan Africa comprise 29 per cent of the overall arrivals registered in 2018, followed by those from Morocco (19%), Guinea Conakry (15%), Mali (12%) and a variety of other nationality groups.

Read the full report here.

For more information about recent trends in the Mediterranean and migrants presence in the Western Balkans, check our interactive data portal – Migration Flows to Europe.